Lost My I-130, Approval Notice. What Do I Do Next?

Have you misplaced or lost your I-130 approval notice that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) granted to your family-based immigrant petition or other immigration application? Maybe you never received the USCIS notice, despite USCIS records showing that it was sent to you. The next step to take is you may need to file a Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application, or Petition requesting that the immigration department send you a notice.

The Importance of Having a Physical Copy of a USCIS Approval Notice

USCIS often asks people to submit copies of its own approval notices as part of the immigration process. For example, after USCIS grants an approval on the initial Form I-130 family-based immigrant petition, if that individual is in the U.S. and qualifies to adjust status while in the country, that person will need to attach a copy of the I-130 to the adjustment of status submission before mailing it to USCIS. This is why it is important to have a copy of the approval notice.

The Form I-824 and Its Other Uses for Prospect Immigrants to the U.S.

There are other situations where someone might need to file Form I-824 with USCIS:

  • Request that a different U.S. Embassy or Consulate receive notice of USCIS’s approval of a nonimmigrant visa petition or waiver request
  • To update the U.S. Consulate that you have successfully adjusted status to a permanent resident in the U.S., this then allows your family members to apply for derivative immigrant visas abroad
  • Request that USCIS transfer your approved I-130 petition to the Department of State National Visa Center (NVC). This is mainly utilized if you had originally planned to adjust status in the U.S. without having to leave the U.S, likely because you were already living in the U.S. and there has been change of plans and will now use the consular processing instead

A Form I-824 Cannot Be Used to Request Replacement of a U.S. Green Card

After you have submitted a Form I-824, USCIS will issue a copy of an approval notice. No one is allowed to make a request to replace a U.S. Green Card. If you lost your U.S. green card, you will need to file the correct form to get your green card replaced. Ask an immigration lawyer to help you.

Getting Help From An Immigration Attorney

Knowing what to do if you lost your I-130 approval notice can be overwhelming especially if you do not know which form to file. If you decide to employ an attorney, call Gambacorta Law Office at 847 443 9303. Our team will help you prepare the form and stay attentive to the process.