E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

E-1 Treaty Trader Visa Attorneys in Skokie

The Visa to Conduct Trade-Related Business in the U.S.

The E-1 treaty trader visa allows a national of a treaty country to be admitted to the United States purely to engage in international trade. Employees and executives from nations that have trade treaties may obtain a visa to allow the transaction of vital business. Those individuals or companies may obtain a working visa to develop and direct their investment in and trade with the U.S.

Trade includes commercial transactions in goods and trade in services and technology like:

  • Banking
  • Insurance
  • Transportation
  • Tourism
  • Communications
  • Data processing
  • Advertising
  • Accounting
  • Design and engineering
  • Management consulting
  • Technology transfer
  • Other measurable services that can be traded

If you are a national of a qualifying treaty country and you engage in substantial international trade with the U.S., you may be able to enter the U.S. on an E-1 visa. There is no defined minimum level of trade that is considered sufficient, but the lower the volume of your trade, the less likely you are to qualify for an E-1 visa.

Our E-1 visa attorneys in Skokie can help you navigate the application process and improve your chances of approval. We are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns during the process.

Call (847) 443-9303 or contact us online to get started.

Applying for & Obtaining the E-1 Visa

Before even thinking of applying, note the threshold requirements for the E-1 visa. These visas are available for executives and essential workers who are citizens of a country that has a treaty with the United States allowing E-1 status.

Once the principal applicant has successfully registered as a treaty investor or trader, obtaining an E-1 visa for qualifying employees is relatively straightforward. Registration usually takes four to six weeks, and obtaining subsequent employee visas usually takes 10 to 15 working days.

You may be eligible to apply if:

  • You are an executive, manager, or specialist in a treaty nation company operating in the U.S., or you own 50% of the company
  • The nationals of your country own at least 50% of the stock of the company, i.e., the firm has the nationality of the treaty country
  • You are a citizen of a treaty trade country and are involved in international trade
  • You are the immediate family member of a principal E-1 visa holder

Most E visas are issued through consular processing. The number of documents required varies from case to case.

The benefits of obtaining E-1 status include:

  • Working legally in the U.S. for a U.S. company where more than 50% of the business is trade between the U.S. and your home country
  • Ability to travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  • Ability to stay in the U.S. on a prolonged basis with unlimited two-year extensions as long as you maintain E-1 qualifications
  • Ability to bring your dependents to the U.S. Your spouse can also work in the U.S.

With this status, qualified treaty traders and employees are allowed to stay for a maximum of two years. Extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to two years each. E-1 nonimmigrant may be granted with no maximum limit to the number of extensions. However, the foreign national must also maintain an intention to depart the United States when his status expires or gets terminated.

Moreover, the visa holder’s spouse and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age may accompany the treaty trader and employee. Nationalities of the treaty trader or employee need not be the same. Family members may seek E-1 nonimmigrant classification as dependents and when approved, family members will be granted the same period of stay as the employee. Likewise, spouses may apply for employment authorization and get a legal job or attend school.

However, there are some limitations:

  • You are restricted to working only for the specific employer or self-owned business that acted as your E-1 visa sponsor
  • Visas are available only to foreign nationals of countries that have trade treaties with the U.S.
  • Authorized stay is granted for two years at a time, which makes the application or extension process cumbersome

Click here to find out more information.

To find out more about the E-1 application process and an estimate of fees, call us at (847) 443-9303 to schedule an initial consultation.


  • Sincere Dedication

    “I can't express how appreciative I am to have found him. My husband is back home with us now and we are celebrating our 8 year anniversary this Friday. Thank you for your sincere dedication Mr. Gambacorta, you brought my family back together.”

    - Nicole
  • Extraordinarily Helpful

    “The temple and Khun Tim have an ongoing relationship and I continue to refer Thai people to him when I know that Thai people are in need of an immigration lawyer.”

    - Anonymous
  • Passion for Helping People

    “I have never been so impressed by an attorney, as this is simply one of the "good guys!" He has a passion for helping people, and for not giving up.”

    - Karla
  • Always Very Attentive to Me and My Family During This Process

    “He successfully help me obtain a working permit card in the U.S., amongst other benefits, as part of the new law in Illinois (The Dream ACT).”

    - Norman Jr.
  • Thoughtful, Thorough, and Most Importantly, Practical

    “I have worked with Tim for almost 3 years and have never been disappointed in any aspect of his work.”

    - Hung