L-1B Specialized Knowledge Transferee

L-1B Visa Attorneys in Skokie

For Specialized Knowledge Transferees

With an L-1B visa, U.S. employers can transfer a professional employee with specialized knowledge from one of their affiliated foreign offices to one of their offices in the U.S. An L-1B visa also allows a foreign company without an established U.S. office to send an employee to establish an office in America.

As such, the L-1B visa is available for specialized knowledge transferees who transfer from a foreign company to a subsidiary, parent, or U.S. affiliate company.

If you are interested in obtaining an L-1B visa for yourself or your employee, you should work with an immigration law firm you can trust. At Gambacorta Law, our L-1B visa lawyers in Skokie represent clients across the globe. We are eager to get started on your case.

Call us at (847) 443-9303 or contact us online today.

Qualifying for an L-1B Visa

To qualify, the foreign company must be currently doing business and the transferee must have worked for the company for at least one continuous year in a position requiring specialized knowledge within the last three years.

L-1B visa requirements for companies include:

  • The U.S. company is the petitioning company and must meet specific requirements
  • The U.S. company must have a formal affiliation with the foreign entity
  • The connection may be as a subsidiary, division, affiliate, or branch.
  • The connection must be clearly established and verified. This relationship may be shown by the fact that both entities are controlled by the same person or group or by demonstrating that one company owns more than 50% of the other.

The company must be doing business as an employer in the U.S. and in at least one other country directly or through a qualifying organization for the duration of the L-1 visa holder’s stay in the United States.

Duration of Stay

The L-1B visa may be granted for up to three years. An employee of a newly established company, however, may only be granted a one-year stay. As long as both companies are engaging in business and remain affiliated, the L-1B can be extended for up to five years.

The family members of L-1B workers (spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old) are eligible to obtain an L-2 visa. They may accompany the L-1B transferee and remain in the United States, attend schools, and apply for employment authorization.

Click here to find out more information.

You Need an Immigration Attorney on Your Side

Obtaining a visa is not easy. At Gambacorta Law, our goal is to help you navigate your visa application. We help clients obtain the visas they need, delivering compassionate and results-driven counsel. Allow our L-1B visa attorneys in Skokie to step in and help you complete your application successfully.

Call us at (847) 443-9303 now to request an initial consultation.


  • Sincere Dedication

    “I can't express how appreciative I am to have found him. My husband is back home with us now and we are celebrating our 8 year anniversary this Friday. Thank you for your sincere dedication Mr. Gambacorta, you brought my family back together.”

    - Nicole
  • Extraordinarily Helpful

    “The temple and Khun Tim have an ongoing relationship and I continue to refer Thai people to him when I know that Thai people are in need of an immigration lawyer.”

    - Anonymous
  • Passion for Helping People

    “I have never been so impressed by an attorney, as this is simply one of the "good guys!" He has a passion for helping people, and for not giving up.”

    - Karla
  • Always Very Attentive to Me and My Family During This Process

    “He successfully help me obtain a working permit card in the U.S., amongst other benefits, as part of the new law in Illinois (The Dream ACT).”

    - Norman Jr.
  • Thoughtful, Thorough, and Most Importantly, Practical

    “I have worked with Tim for almost 3 years and have never been disappointed in any aspect of his work.”

    - Hung