M-1 Vocational Student

M-1 Visa Attorneys in Skokie

Representing Vocational Students Pursuing Educational Opportunities in the U.S.

International students who wish to pursue non-academic educational opportunities in the U.S. can take advantage of the M-1 visa. Unlike the F-1 student visa that requires applicants to be pursuing academic studies, the M-1 visa is granted to vocational students.

Vocational studies include:

  • Mechanical studies
  • Technical studies
  • Language programs
  • Cooking classes
  • Cosmetology programs
  • Flight school

At Gambacorta Law, we are passionate about helping international students pursue their dreams and get the education they need. We can help you apply for an M-1 visa and improve your chances of approval.

Contact our M-1 lawyers in Skokie by calling (847) 443-9303.

Qualifying for the M-1 Visa

To obtain an M-1 visa, you must first be accepted into a vocational institution that has been approved by USCIS and enrolled in a full course of study. When applying to a vocational institution, make sure to check whether they accept international students.

You must also:

  • Be able to speak, read, and understand English without enrolling in an intensive language program
  • Have enough money to cover at least your first year of study
  • Have a permanent residence in your home country
  • Intend to leave the United States once you have completed your vocational program

The Application Process

If you have been accepted into a program of study, the school will send you Form I-20 to complete and submit. Make an appointment with your nearest U.S. consulate to apply and pay the mandatory SEVIS fee.

You may also have to supply:

  • Your transcript, degrees, or certificates you have received
  • Test scores such as TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT
  • Proof that you intend to leave the U.S. after completing your studies
  • Proof of your financial ability to live and study in the U.S.

If you are between the ages of 14 and 79, you will have to undergo an interview with an immigration official. There is no way of knowing exactly how long it will take to schedule an interview appointment, so apply for your M-1 as early as possible.

If you receive an M-1 visa, there is no defined period of stay. You may remain in the U.S. for the duration of your course of study.

You may bring your spouse and your unmarried children under the age of 21 to the U.S. with you on an M-2 derivative visa.

Click here to find out more information.

To learn more about M-1 visas and whether you are eligible for one, call Gambacorta Law at (847) 443-9303.


  • Sincere Dedication

    “I can't express how appreciative I am to have found him. My husband is back home with us now and we are celebrating our 8 year anniversary this Friday. Thank you for your sincere dedication Mr. Gambacorta, you brought my family back together.”

    - Nicole
  • Extraordinarily Helpful

    “The temple and Khun Tim have an ongoing relationship and I continue to refer Thai people to him when I know that Thai people are in need of an immigration lawyer.”

    - Anonymous
  • Passion for Helping People

    “I have never been so impressed by an attorney, as this is simply one of the "good guys!" He has a passion for helping people, and for not giving up.”

    - Karla
  • Always Very Attentive to Me and My Family During This Process

    “He successfully help me obtain a working permit card in the U.S., amongst other benefits, as part of the new law in Illinois (The Dream ACT).”

    - Norman Jr.
  • Thoughtful, Thorough, and Most Importantly, Practical

    “I have worked with Tim for almost 3 years and have never been disappointed in any aspect of his work.”

    - Hung