R-1 Religious Visa

R-1 Visa Attorneys in Skokie

Representing Foreign National Religious Workers

The R-1 visa allows religious workers like ministers and persons working in the religious vocation to work in the United States for a period of up to five years. Eventually, R-1 visa holders can apply for a green card for permanent residence.

Workers in a religious vocation or occupation include the following two types of workers:

  • Professional workers are those who want to work in a religious vocation or occupation that requires a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its foreign equivalent
  • Other religious workers are those who are working in a religious vocation or occupation

Gambacorta Law can help you apply for and successfully obtain an R-1 visa. We encourage you to share your story and discuss your goals with us during an initial consultation.

Call (847) 443-9303 now to schedule yours.

Qualifying for an R-1 Religious Visa

To qualify as a minister, a recognized denomination must authorize you to conduct religious worship and perform duties that are performed by the clergy members. A religious occupation relates to a traditional religious function to inculcate and carry out the religious creed and beliefs of the denomination. On the other hand, religious vocation is a formal lifetime commitment to a religious way of life like monks, nuns, priests, and religious brothers and sisters. To qualify, the religious worker must be a member of the same religious denomination as the petitioning church for the past two years. The petitioning church must also have received 501(c)(3) nonprofit status from the IRS.

Applying for R-1 Visas

If you are outside the U.S. and wish to apply for an R-1 visa,you must submit Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker. You must be able to prove that you are a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the U.S. You must have been a member of the denomination for two years immediately preceding admission. Once Form I-129 is approved, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will begin consular processing for issuance of the visa.

The R-1 visa can be granted for up to three years initially and may be extended for two more years.

Spouse and unmarried children under age 21 are eligible to get an R-2 visa to accompany the religious worker and remain in the United States. R-2 visa holders are not allowed to work but may attend schools.

Click here to find out more information.

Contact Our Skokie R-1 Visa Lawyers

At Gambacorta Law, we are passionate about helping our clients understand and navigate U.S. immigration laws and procedures. With our help, you will be that much closer to obtaining the visa you need to achieve your goals.

Call (847) 443-9303 now to get started.


  • Sincere Dedication

    “I can't express how appreciative I am to have found him. My husband is back home with us now and we are celebrating our 8 year anniversary this Friday. Thank you for your sincere dedication Mr. Gambacorta, you brought my family back together.”

    - Nicole
  • Extraordinarily Helpful

    “The temple and Khun Tim have an ongoing relationship and I continue to refer Thai people to him when I know that Thai people are in need of an immigration lawyer.”

    - Anonymous
  • Passion for Helping People

    “I have never been so impressed by an attorney, as this is simply one of the "good guys!" He has a passion for helping people, and for not giving up.”

    - Karla
  • Always Very Attentive to Me and My Family During This Process

    “He successfully help me obtain a working permit card in the U.S., amongst other benefits, as part of the new law in Illinois (The Dream ACT).”

    - Norman Jr.
  • Thoughtful, Thorough, and Most Importantly, Practical

    “I have worked with Tim for almost 3 years and have never been disappointed in any aspect of his work.”

    - Hung