Extensions on Temporary Protected Status For Haitians

The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Jeh Johnson, announced a new immigration policy that will come into effect January 23, 2016, and last until July 22, 2017.

This new policy will allow Haitian Immigrants to receive another 18-month extension for their Temporary Protected Status.

Directions have been given to existing recipients who may seek to lengthen their TPS. The USCIS encouraged holders of a TPS to re-register during a 60-day timeframe that extends from August 25, 2015, to October 26, 2015. No applications were accepted before August 25, 2015.

Temporary Protected Status Comes with Benefits

People re-registering for TPS will be granted an:

Those qualified Haitians with a TPS who re-register within the 60 day timeframe and petition for a new EAD will be given an expiration date of July 22, 2017.

The USCIS acknowledges that many reapplying will not obtain their new EADs after their present ones are expired. USCIS will voluntarily extend the timeframe for an additional 6 months, for those holding an expiration date up to January 22, 2016. Those current EADs are now effective through, July 22, 2016.

This is a result of a massive earthquake that demolished the nation, because of this tragedy, Haiti was appointed TPS. Such devastating conditions have encouraged the Department of Homeland Security and other Federal agencies to provide extensions to all those existing TPS recipients.

The Re-Registration Process is as follows:

  • Those reapplying must yield a Form I-821, Application for Temporary Status, and are excused from paying the application fee for the Form I-821.
  • Those reapplying must provide a Biometric Services Fee or a fee waiver request if they are 14 years of age or over.
  • You must submit a Form I-765 Application Fee or a fee waiver request if you intend on obtaining an EAD. No application fee is necessary if the applicant does not want an EAD.

If by chance applicants are not able to make payments for their Biometrics Fee or Form I-765 Application they can petition the USCIS to waive their application Form I-765.

Procedure for petitioning the USCIS to waive their application is as follows:

  • Applicants must file a Form I-912, petition a Fee Waiver or present a written request. Such written request must be submitted with substantial supporting documentation. Failure to follow instructions on providing the necessary filing fees or substantial documented waiver fee and applications will end in a denial.

Meet with an Expert Immigration Lawyer Today

The Gambacorta Law Office can help support you through your reapplication process. Our offices are located in Arizona and Illinois

Also Read: