Replacing a U.S. Green Card That Has Been Lost in the Mail

An image of the top corner of a Green cardAfter completing your interview and receiving approval, you are given a document stating that your green card will be mailed to you after making the U.S. Green Card payment.  After waiting three months you observe that you have still have not received your U.S. Green Card.  What should you do?

What to Do If Your Green Card is Lost in Mail

By this time you should consider your U.S. green card lost.  If this occurs you can still get your Green Card but you need to be prepared to apply for a replacement card and pay the filing fee again.  According to the USCIS if you did not receive your U.S. green card in the mail at the address you gave USCIS, then you must pay the entire application fee again.

Contact an immigration attorney to help you follow through with the right procedure.  Follow the steps below if your U.S. green card was lost in the mail.

Step One: Submit a Police Report

Before starting the replacement procedure, it is required that you file your green card as lost.  This will safeguard your identity so that if anyone finds your green card they cannot use it.  You might prefer just to call the police over the phone, but it is better to visit the nearest police department in person to file a report, so you can provide them with the necessary documents.  Failure to give the police the needed information will only hinder you in proceeding with the application process.

Step Two: Gather Every Piece of Supporting Documentation

Collect supporting documents for the replacement application. Gather this documentation early on in the process so as to avoid any setback.  Some documents to collect are listed below:

  • A detailed account describing how your U.S. green card was lost in the mail.
  • Copies of your birth certificate, passport, and driver’s license.
  • Two passports sized photos
  • A copy of the document showing your approval of U.S. green card.
  • Copies of other authorized documentation.

The faster you are able to get these copies the sooner you are able to process your application form.

Step Three: Contact U.S. Consulate and the USCIS.

Not only is it important to contact the police but you also will need to contact the U.S. Consulate and the USCIS about your missing green card.  You will be asked to provide them with information specific to your application process, approval location and your Form I-90.

If you happen to be traveling and your green card is lost, it is vitally important to reach out to the nearest embassy, USCIS office or consulate.

Step Four: Filing an Application to Replace your Permanent Resident Card.

After you have submitted your police report, gathered all of your documents and notified the correct immigration office you are then ready to apply for a new green card.  You will need to file a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.  A lawful permanent resident must complete to parts of the Form I-90 each various sections.

  • Part One: Personal Information about the applicant.  Information about you such as address, name, gender, date and place of birth, alien registration number and information about both parents will be required.
  • Part Two: Category of application.  You must choose and stated why you are submitting application.  For example you can say your U.S. green card was stolen, misplaced, destroyed, issued but it got lost in the mail, etc.

As frustrating as it may be having to apply to replace a U.S. Green Card that was lost in the mail, do not apply alone. To avoid another mishap, speak with a U.S. immigration attorney so you can receive the appropriate advice and guidance.

Speak with an Immigration Attorney

Contact The Gambacorta Law Office today at 847-443-9303 for a consultation at any of our locations in the Arizona, Illinois and Texas. We offer a variety of immigration services.