How To Acquire a U.S. Green Card Through Marriage as a Military Spouse

There are various requirements for your spouse who is a member of the military service who will be sponsoring your U.S. Green Card, and for you, the military family member. Joint requirements do also exist for both the petitioner and beneficiary. A few of the demands are:

  • You must both show evidence of your marriage authenticity
  • Prove that you terminated previous marriages (if applicable)
  • Provide supporting documentation like military service records amongst other documents

Some Conditions For the Sponsoring Active-Duty Spouse

Your spouse, a U.S. military member, must be a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident. You must also earn at minimum 100% of the federal poverty guidelines for your household size. Your household includes you and your dependents. Your spouse must accept all financial responsibilities for you and must have a clean criminal record.

Stipulations for the Spouse Seeking a Lawful Permanent Resident Status

As the beneficiary spouse you will need to prove your identity, nationality and current immigration status. You also need to demonstrate that you are of good moral character. A good moral character means you have not committed any crime or violated any U.S. immigration law such as overstaying a visa. If you have transgressed any laws of the land or immigration laws, you might be able to apply but you may need to submit a waiver of inadmissibility.

What Does the Application Process for a Military Spouse’s Green Card Look Like

Every petitioner and beneficiary will need to follow a three-step process to get their green card. First you must file your green card application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Both spouses will need to file specific forms and wait until the application procedure is complete and an interview appointment is scheduled. Before initiating the application process consult with your nearest immigration law firm and ask for their assistance.

Have an Immigration Attorney Help You

If you are a member of the U.S. military and you would like to petition on behalf of your foreign spouse but you do not know how to start the application process consult with an immigration lawyer. Call Gambacorta Law Office at 847 443 9303 to schedule your appointment. Our team will gladly assist you.