Obtaining Official Proof of US Citizenship

Proof of US citizenshipYou have now become an American citizen and you are looking forward to obtaining proof of your U.S. Citizenship. If you were born in the United States of America, the birth certificate given to your parents by the hospital is not considered the authorized documentation that deems a person a U.S. citizen. The actual proof is in the birth certificate issued by the state government, this is the accredited proof of your citizenship and remains on the government records.

naturalization certificate is what a Foreign National will receive in place of a birth certificate, for evidence of U.S. citizenship. Once you have obtained your US citizenship by birth in or out of the country or through your parents it is recommended to apply for a U.S. passport or certificate of citizenship.

U.S. Citizenship Through Passport

If you are born outside of the United States to U.S. citizen parents, a U.S. passport can be applied for, as evidence of U.S. citizenship. However, the person must meet additional requirements to obtain his/her citizenship.

Requirements Include:

  • Evidence of Parents US Citizenship
  • Confirmation that parents followed all stipulations to obtain U.S. Residency
  • Verification that you complied with all prerequisites and that you were granted an exemption from such because you were unaware of the law proceedings.

Substantial information like citizenship or birth papers, tax or employment and even supporting affidavits must prove that you met all requirements and that you were unaware of your declaration of U.S. citizenship. Passports are attainable at passport offices in the U.S. and at U.S. Consulates in foreign countries.

Official U.S. Citizenship Documents

Acquiring citizenship by seeking an application for a certificate of citizenship from the USCIS can also be done. Applying for a certificate of citizenship is accessible to anyone claiming their U.S. citizenship, however, the application process may take longer than applying for a U.S. passport and obtaining citizenship may be even harder. They are only distributed by USCIS headquarters within the country.

Becoming the recipient of U.S. citizenship received directly through naturalization of a parent is considered less challenging as the additional evidence required is much easier to collect. These evidential documents are: parents’ birth, marriage and naturalization documents. Also the applicant’s birth and marriage certificate or divorce decree if applicable.

Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Documents at a U.S. Consulate

For people born out of the United States to American citizens, their parents must record their information at a U.S. Consulate within a 5-year time frame. Upon registration of child at a U.S. Consulate, parents will receive a Consular Registration of Birth Abroad. Duplicates are not guaranteed if the official Certificate of Consular Registration of Birth is lost. Applicants will need to apply for a passport or Certificate of Citizenship.

Speak with an Experienced Immigration Law Attorney

If you are US Citizen and need help applying for U.S. Citizenship status for your child you can contact The Gambacorta Law Office. We can help you with this and all other immigration law needs.