You Noticed a Mistake on Your U.S Green Card. Do I Need to Pay the Replacement Fee?

If you are a foreigner who recently immigrated to the United States and you just got your U.S. green card and you notice a minor mistake on the green card (the card that proves your U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident status), such as the misspelling of your name or an error on your date of birth. Visit your nearest immigration law firm for advice on this matter.

Do Not Ignore a Mistake That is on Your U.S. Green Card

First, it is advised to request a new green card instead of just trying to get by with the one containing the error. It is very important that the biographical information on your green card, passport, and any other current identification documents match each other, so that you do not encounter any issues when traveling in and out of the U.S. or when completing any immigration application.

Process for Requesting a Corrected Green Card with USCIS

To be able to request a corrected green card, you must complete and submit Form I-90 with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Ask an immigration lawyer to help you, help will be needed to complete the form.

Before you complete the Form I-90, be sure to figure out whether you (or the person who helped you fill out the forms and submit the lawful permanent resident application) committed the error, or whether the government (the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or USCIS is responsible for having made such mistake shown on your green card.

Now, in case your name was misspelled, check your LPR status. If your name is spelled correctly on your immigrant visa application, then USCIS is responsible for the mistake and you will not need to pay a fee when you file the Form I-90. However, if you cannot prove that USCIS made the mistake then you will have to pay the filing fee.

There are times when particular cases are not entirely clear as to who made the mistake. As a practical matter, if you received your green card through adjustment of status and realize that you made a mistake in AOS forms (for example you accidentally left out a letter of your name), but all the identification documents you submitted in support of your LPR immigration application had your name spelled correctly, you might be able to argue that you provided USCIS with the correct information even though your green card has your name as you misspelled it on the form. To show proof of your argument you will need to attach copies of the documents you provided along with the application like your passport and birth certificate and a letter with the explanation that you provided USCIS with the correct information and that they were part of your original LPR application.

Have An Immigration Attorney Help You

Before you attempt to complete the Form I-90 consult with an immigration lawyer for advice simply because you want to avoid making another mistake, especially if you were at fault at the beginning of the green card application process. But if you feel like USCIS is responsible for the error shown on your green card, an attorney can help you review your case and prepare a good argument on your behalf. Feel free to call Gambacorta Law Office at 847 443 9303 for assistance.