How to Obtain a U.S. Naturalization Certificate

The United States government grants what is known as a Certificate of Naturalization to new U.S. citizens, either on Form N-550, a Certificate of Naturalization (that is issued to an individual who obtains U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process or N-570 (that is provided when the original certificate of naturalization is lost, damaged or contains errors). The certificate serves as evidence that the person whose name and photo the form bears has been granted U.S. citizenship through naturalization.

What is Naturalization?

Naturalization is the procedure in which U.S. lawful permanent residents (U.S. Green Card Beneficiaries) may, after a certain period of years, apply for U.S. citizenship. Such a process entails:

  • Filling out and submitting U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form N400, Application for Naturalization
  • Attending an interview
  • Demonstrating the ability to speak, read and write English and
  • Passing a test on U.S. history and government.
  • Once approved and sworn in at an oath ceremony, those seeking U.S. citizenship are officially U.S. citizens.

Is It Necessary Applying Separately for a Certificate of Naturalization?

No, immigrants who have successfully applied for U.S. citizenship through naturalization will automatically be given a certificate of naturalization at their swearing-in ceremony. A date will be scheduled for a swearing-in ceremony after the USCIS interview at which an approval for U.S. citizenship is granted.

Is It Required to Apply for a U.S. Passport?

Applying separately for a U.S. passport will be essential. Having a U.S. passport is an important document to have on hand especially if you have to travel overseas. Carrying a passport around is much easier than traveling with a U.S. naturalization certificate especially if you decide to hang up your certificate of naturalization on the wall with a frame.

If in any instance you decide to frame or hang up your certificate of naturalization on a wall, you might want to consider making a copy just in case there is a possibility that you might need to file petitions (Form I-130) for any of your family members that will be looking to immigration into the U.S. Speak with an immigration law expert when filing other petitions and making copies of your certificate of naturalization. An opportunity to complete an application for a U.S. passport will be provided at the swearing-in ceremony. If that opportunity is missed, passport applications are managed by the U.S.State Department.

What Do I Do If I Lost My Certificate of Naturalization?

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged certificate of Naturalization can be done by:

  • Submitting a Form N-565 with USCIS
  • Providing a copy of the lost or destroyed naturalization certificate
  • Getting two passport-style photos of yourself
  • Making payment for a processing fee
  • Including a police report if someone stole or destroyed your certificate and submitting it to USCIS along with all other supporting documents.

Seek Advice From An Immigration Attorney

Going through the Naturalization process may be easy and simple but it is better to get advice and help from someone who knows U.S. immigration laws. Contact Gambacorta Law Office today at 847 443 9303 to get the assistance you need.