What to Do If You Made a Mistake on an Immigration Form

Since U.S. immigration applications are complicated and lengthy, there are many opportunities for mistakes when filling them out. Unfortunately, sometimes if the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) finds any errors - no matter how simple - on immigration forms, such applications could be rejected. 

If you realized you have made a mistake on your immigration form, you may be wondering what are your options to fix it. The answer depends on whether the government has or hasn't acted on your petition yet. 

If You Have Not Received an Answer from USCIS 

If you made a mistake on a USCIS form, you must wait until you receive a notice that the agency obtained it. The notice will provide a receipt number and other ways to identify your case and make it easier for government officials to find your filed form. 

Once you receive the notice, call the national USCIS Contact Center, tell them about the error, and request that the agency correct it. Although they may fix the issue immediately, if the government tells you extra time is required, obtain a reference number in the event you need to reach out to them again. 

If a mistake is too serious for the Contact Center to correct, you may be required to send a new signed form along with an explanation of the error and how it should be fixed. 

If USCIS Has Acted on Your Application 

If USCIS has already reviewed your form and noticed an error, the agency could either send you a "Request for Evidence" form or reject your application and make you restart the process, including filing the proper form and paying another filing fee. Some RFEs may tell you to send documents the agency is missing or that the documents you submitted are not adequate. 

Whether you believe you made a mistake on your USCIS application or you want professional guidance to properly fill out your forms, it is wise to hire an experienced immigration attorney to help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights and best interests. At Gambacorta Law, we specialize in complex immigration cases and provide our clients with caring and personalized legal assistance. 

Contact us today at (847) 443-9303 to discuss your case with our Skokie immigration attorney. Providing services in English, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese!