Houston Family-Based Immigration Lawyers

Family-Based Immigration Attorneys in Houston, TX

Keep Your Family Together with Gambacorta Law

United States citizens and lawful permanent residents may sponsor family members to help them immigrate into the country. If you have citizenship or a green card, you can help certain family members receive immigration benefits. If your loved one lives in the United States as a citizen or a lawful permanent resident, they may be able to sponsor you. In any case, you will have to provide proof of your familial relationship and go through an in-depth application process.

Immigrating to the United States is not easy, even when you have a family member to sponsor you. Fortunately, Gambacorta Law is here to help. From determining which visa(s) you are eligible for to building a strong application and submitting your paperwork, we will be by your side.

Call us at (281) 595-1949 to get started today.

Who Can I Sponsor?

As explained by Travel.State.Gov, your immigration status determines who you can sponsor. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor your:

  • Spouse
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Sibling

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you can only sponsor your spouse and/or your unmarried children. Further, family-based immigration is limited each fiscal year for family members of lawful permanent residents, as well as more distant family relationships for U.S. citizens.

For U.S. citizens, visas for immediate relatives (spouses, minor children, and parents) are not limited each fiscal year.

If you want to determine whether you can sponsor a relative or be sponsored by a family member, please discuss your case with our family-based immigration lawyers in Houston, TX today.

Family “Preference Immigrant” Categories

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens may always apply for a green card. Other family members of both citizens and lawful permanent residents are prioritized using the following categories:

  • F1 (first preference) immigrants are unmarried children 21 years of age and older of U.S. citizens
  • F2A (second preference) immigrants are the spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents
  • F3 (third preference) immigrants are married children of U.S. citizens
  • F4 (fourth preference) immigrants are siblings of U.S. citizens (to sponsor your sibling, you must be at least 21 years of age)

If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military, the immigration process may work differently. Similarly, intercountry adoptions and visas for fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens are different processes with different applications.

Part of successful family-based immigration in Houston and beyond is choosing the right visa for your situation. Then, it all depends on filling out the paperwork correctly and filing it on time.

How to Apply for Family-Based Immigration

Assuming you have a standard family-based immigration case, your family will complete and file Form I-130. This form must be filed by the U.S. citizen or permanent resident who already resides in the United States. If U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves this request, the immigrating family member will be able to apply for a green card with a priority date.

Because there is a yearly quota for family “preference immigrants,” you may not receive a priority date within the same year you apply. This especially true for third and fourth preference immigrants, who typically wind up on large waiting lists.

If there is a way to expedite this process for your family, Gambacorta Law will find it. No matter what, we will help you build a strong case and complete your application so USCIS can process it as efficiently as possible.

Get Started Today

The sooner you sponsor a family member or get sponsored, the sooner your family will be together. Gambacorta Law has been handling family-based immigration cases for Houston families since 2007, and we are ready to help you, too. Our attorneys have been through the immigration process ourselves, so we know what you are going throw and how to make the most of your immigration case – no matter how complex.

If you’re ready to reunite your family, call us at (281) 595-1949 or contact us online to get started today.


  • Sincere Dedication

    “I can't express how appreciative I am to have found him. My husband is back home with us now and we are celebrating our 8 year anniversary this Friday. Thank you for your sincere dedication Mr. Gambacorta, you brought my family back together.”

    - Nicole
  • Extraordinarily Helpful

    “The temple and Khun Tim have an ongoing relationship and I continue to refer Thai people to him when I know that Thai people are in need of an immigration lawyer.”

    - Anonymous
  • Passion for Helping People

    “I have never been so impressed by an attorney, as this is simply one of the "good guys!" He has a passion for helping people, and for not giving up.”

    - Karla
  • Always Very Attentive to Me and My Family During This Process

    “He successfully help me obtain a working permit card in the U.S., amongst other benefits, as part of the new law in Illinois (The Dream ACT).”

    - Norman Jr.
  • Thoughtful, Thorough, and Most Importantly, Practical

    “I have worked with Tim for almost 3 years and have never been disappointed in any aspect of his work.”

    - Hung