Unlawful Employment While Waiting for a U.S. Green Card Application?

Primary applicants adjusting status for permanent residence in the United States are required to receive an employment authorization document if they plan to work in the U.S. Every foreigner living in the U.S. should be sure to not accept a job post unless they are officially authorized to work.

Once a person has submitted a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, they should know that they are not automatically authorized to work in the U.S. There is still another step to take before being able to work, you need to have your work permit.

How Can an Applicant Obtain Employment Authorization in the U.S?

People applying for an adjustment of status must understand that employment authorization is usually acquired by submitting a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Normally, when filing the application for adjustment of status the application for employment authorization is filed at the same time.

In the event the applicant forgot to include a Form I-765, with the initial adjustment of status application, they can send one to their nearest USCIS office. Ask an immigration lawyer for advice.

What Happens If You Have Been Working Without Authorization?

Overstaying in the United States for more than 180 days may bring forth consequences and even more consequences if you have been working without authorization for those 180 days. If you worked in the U.S. without authorization and you are seeking to adjust status there is a possibility that your application will be denied. If you have questions you should talk to an immigration lawyer.

Time to Get Help From a Legal Representative

Working without permission in the US will be taken seriously by USCIS and it does not matter if an applicant is waiting for a pending adjustment of status application. Whether working in the country was done intentionally or not an applicant must give an account to U.S. immigration. If you find yourself in such a situation seek your nearest immigration attorney. Call Gambacorta Law Office today at 847 443 9303.