Renewing A B-1/B-2 Tourist/Visitor’s Visa

If you received a B-1/B-2 tourist visa for temporary stays in the United States, you may notice that your visa is valid for up to 10 years after being issued. The B-1/B-2 visa is a multiple entry visa and the ten year validity period grants people to use their visas as much as needed before it expires. Once the tourist visa is set to expire soon and you intend to travel to the U.S. you will need to renew your visitor’s visa as soon as possible.

Visa renewals are submitted and processed at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your designated home country. Normally, renewing a B1/B2 travel visa is the same process as applying for an initial visa, with the following steps:

  • Fill out Form DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • The applicant must upload a photo of himself or herself
  • Make payment of the required visa filing fees
  • Schedule and appear for a visa interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Something to be mindful of is that the timeline for the B1/B2 visa renewal depends on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are applying. Each embassy and consulate has their separate processing times based on the appointment schedules, staffing, and ongoing visa applications. Also, the filing fee for nonimmigrant visas increased as of June 17, 2023.

Have an Immigration Expert Help You

While renewing a B1/B2 Tourist/Visitor’s visa does not require the help of an immigration lawyer it could help you from avoiding making minor mistakes in the application that could cost you significantly. Gambacorta Law Office will gladly assist you with completing the application for a B1/B2 Tourist visa. Call us at 847 443 9303 or visit our webpage to schedule an appointment.